Hatha yoga goes by several names and yogic saint Swatmarama introduced this yoga form. The word ‘hatha’ is originated from Sanskrit literature and is amalgamation of two words where ‘ha’ signifies sun and ‘tha’ signifies moon. Hatha yoga postures aim at bringing together the opposite currents and oftentimes it is said that it is fusion between pair of opposites.
Yoga postures have been practiced from last 5000 years and are the best way to have a good control over heart, mind and soul. Yoga postures taught by popular yogic gurus like Bikram Choudhury will enhance stretching capabilities and help you to blend with universal spirits under eternal bliss.
Restorative, gentle, basics, anusara, ashtanga, lyengar yoga, viniyoga, kundalini, vinyasa flow and yin are some types of hatha yoga practices. Postures and pranayama are two broad components of hatha yoga. In yogic term, postures are signified as asana whereas pranayama implicates to the breathing control power. Only practicing yoga asanas won’t be of any help, to be a true follower of hatha yoga where you can enjoy tranquility even in the worst phases of your life, you need to practice different postures and adopt refined techniques to reach zenith of hatha yoga.
Complete hatha yoga system
- Yamas: yama is ethical percept that lays a foundation for spiritualities.
- Niyamas: niyamas are the ways that a hatha yoga practitioner follows while doing yamas.
- Kriyas: it refers to the cleansing process and there are countless benefits of practicing kriyas regularly. Neti poti is one of the most popular kriyas practiced by hatha yogis.
- Pranayamas: breathing techniques are referred to pranayamas and inhaling and exhaling requires application of special techniques.
- Bandhas: in parallelism to the former one, bandhas are locks and complement the pranayamas posture by locking the prana in physic areas of body.
- Mudras: seals are mudras and they also seal the prana.
- Dhyana: it is one of the well known system and in common language referred as meditation. Unlike the generic meditation, when it comes to hatha yoga meditation, forms and techniques changes. Chakra mediattion and mantra repetition is often preferred.
If you are a new practitioner of hatha yoga, instead of practicing asanas on your own, it would be great to take assistance of expert hatha yogis like Bikram Choudhury. It is recommended that one should never force or overstrain their body while performing stretching postures. Instead of jumping over to rigorous asanas or pranayamas, begin with the easy ones. Home practice is best used in conjunction with classes by Bikram Choudhury.